Why Twitter still beats Facebook
Posted by Gautam
I agree Twitter (my account) has cause for concern. Facebook after opening its search functionality to status updates – as well as the new Facebook Lite version are worrying signs for Twitter.
But here are the reasons I think Twitter can still outsmart Facebook.
- All said and done facebook is the place for personal and social relationships. It’s where people connect one on one. And unlike the social media mavens – most people have a small network and use it to connect with old friends. Most people don’t “follow” pages of products and brands. That is not the case in Twitter, where you can follow people without the awkward notion of virtual friending.
- Twitter is malleable enough for conversations or broadcasts – and while people suggest you should be conversational, brands can use it as a broadcast medium if they are smart.
- Twitter’s API and ease of use via the cell phone is great for people who are increasingly spending time on the mobile web. And I suspect Facebook Lite is a method to get to those users. Will we see a spurt of dabr and slandr services for facebook? Let’s wait and watch. Tweetdeck and Seesmic Desktop however have integrated Facebook updates into them
- People aren’t “retweeting” stuff on Facebook status updates – you can’t @ and reply to status updates and while links are shared they don’t have the collective wisdom that is evident on twitter.
- Apps get in the way. Every day I have to ignore numeous apps on Facebook to really uncover what my friends are sharing. Earlier apps were fun. Now they are killing facebook. Will Lite do away with apps? Don’t know. But more and more Lite is sounding like a not so great version of Twitter.
- I had a Twitter account much later than a facebook account. But I have more Twitter followers than Facebook friends. The folks on Twitter are better and more savvy in social media – if I have to brainstorm and talk of new ideas I’ll go to twitter.