Career goals/Life goals: How do you set the right one?
Answer by Gautam Ghosh:
Am in that age bracket and I aim for three kinds of professional goals
- Intellectual development – I aim to keep learning something regularly. Broaden my professional concepts and build depth in two three areas
- Share my knowledge – As much as I learn, I also share. Via blogs, Twitter and Quora.
- Get to know influential people in my industry – Network at conferences, follow up on LinkedIn. Volunteer to help them. If you can't help them, direct them to someone else.
Together the three goals have worked out well for me. Here is what I try not to set as goals:
- Financial goals – These are a moving target. And you'll never be happy with what you achieve
- Comparison – Never try to compare yourself with a classmate and their level of success (as percieved by you)